Cuban Style Chicken Fried Steak
- 4 (1/4 lb) cube steaks
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1 tsp cumin\
- 1 lemon sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tbs butter (for gravy)
- 1 tbs flour (for gravy)\
- 1 tsp garlic powder (for gravy)
- 1 tsp cumin (for gravy)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock, more if needed (for gravy)
These are tangy delicious chicken fried steaks with a Latin flair.
- In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs with the oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs in another dish or bowl.
- Dip each steak in the beaten gees, and then in the bread crumb mixture.
- In a large saute pan or cast iron skillet, heat 1 inch of oil using medium high heat.
- Place the steaks in the oil when it is hot.
- Cook the steaks, turning once, until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon slices.
- For the gravy, in the same skillet using medium heat add the butter.
- When the butter is almost melted add the flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk.
- When gravy turns slightly brown slowly add the chicken stock, whisking as you go.
- Season with garlic, powder, cumin and salt and pepper. Taste as you go and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Gravy should be smooth and free flowing. If gravy is too thick add more chicken stock and whisk.