- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 and 3/4 cup sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- grated zest of 1 orange
- juice from 2 oranges (about 1 cup)
- juice of 1 lemon 9about 2 tbs)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
This is wonderfully moist old fashioned orange cake just like grandma used to make.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add egg yolks, sour cream and orange rind.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder into the first mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture.
- Turn the mixture into a well greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Loosen carefully around the edges and turn out onto cake plate.
- Deeply penetrate the cake with a wooden skewer all over.
- Spoon the hot orange sauce over the top of the cake slowly.
- Combine ingredients and let the sugar dissolve over low heat.
- Add the orange juice and mix well.