Banana Pecan Whole Wheat Bread
|1 and 3/4 to 2 and 1/2 cups of flour divided|
|1/4 cup plus 1 tbs sugar, divided|
|1 package of rapid rise yeast|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1/3 cup water|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 cup whole wheat flour|
|1/2 cup mashed banana|
|1/2 cup toasted, crushed pecans|
|1/2 tsp ground cardamom|
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, yeast and salt.
- Heat water and butter until very warm (120 to 130 degrees).
- Stir into dry ingredients.
- Stir in whole wheat flour, banana, eggs, pecans and enough remaining all purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces, and form each into a smooth ball.
- Place the balls in a greased loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl combine remaining sugar and cardamom.
- Sprinkle over the top the dough.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.