Basque Porrusalda (Leek Soup with Sausage and Potatoes)
|1/2 cup olive oil|
|6 leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned well|
|1/2 lb of bulk sausage|
|4 large red potatoes, skin removed and cubed|
|1 tbs crushed thyme|
|1/4 tsp white pepper|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 cups chicken stock|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 tbs fresh parsley|
|1 and 1/2 cups day old bread, cut into chunks. (optional)|
This is stick to your ribs leek with sausage and potatoes that is traditionally served on Sundays in the Basque region of Spain.
- In a large 8 qt stockpot, add the oil to medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks, potatoes, seasonings and flour.
- Stir until the flour is incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add the chicken stock and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Place bay leaves in pot and cover.
- Allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add parsley just before serving.
- Serve with crusty bread.