Basque Porrusalda (Leek Soup with Sausage and Potatoes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned well
- 1/2 lb of bulk sausage
- 4 large red potatoes, skin removed and cubed
- 1 tbs crushed thyme
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbs fresh parsley
- 1 and 1/2 cups day old bread, cut into chunks. (optional)
This is stick to your ribs leek with sausage and potatoes that is traditionally served on Sundays in the Basque region of Spain.
- In a large 8 qt stockpot, add the oil to medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks, potatoes, seasonings and flour.
- Stir until the flour is incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add the chicken stock and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Place bay leaves in pot and cover.
- Allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add parsley just before serving.
- Serve with crusty bread.