- 1 and 1/2 lbs of mackerel fillets
- 4 tbs soy sauce
- 4 tbs sake
- 4 tbs super fine sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- cornstarch for dusting
- canola oil for deep frying
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges
This dish is especially good with an icy cold beer.
- Check the mackerel fillets to make sure all bones are removed.
- Cut the fillets into bite sized pieces.
- Mix the soy sauce, sake, ginger, sugar and garlic in a mixing bowl.
- Add the mackerel and allow to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Drain the fish and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dust the fillets in cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer of deep sauce pan to 350 degrees.
- Deep fry the fish a few pieces at a time until golden in color.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with lime wedges.