- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbs basil, chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 (12 lb) turkey
This is super simple roasted turkey recipe that sings with the flavors of rosemary and garlic and has a crispy brown skin.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, basil, Italian seasoning, black pepper, salt and set aside.
- Wash the turkey inside and out and pat dry. Remove any large fat deposits.
- Loosen the skin from the breast. This is done by slowly working your fingers between the breast and the skin.
- Work it loose to the end of the drumstick, being careful not to tear the skin.
- Using your hand, spread a generous amount of the rosemary mixture under the breast skin and down the thigh and leg.
- Rub the remainder of the rosemary mixture over the outside of the breast.
- Use toothpicks to seal skin over any exposed breast meat.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery to a roasting pan and add 2 cups of water.
- Place the turkey on a rack in the roasting pan.
- Roast the turkey in the oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until the internal temperature taken at the thigh reaches 180 degrees. Baste the turkey with the pan juices every 45 minutes.
- During the last half hour of cooking increase the oven temp to 400 degrees to to allow the skin to get crispy.
- Allow turkey to rest for 30 to 45 minutes before carving.
- The remaining juices in the roasting pan can be used to make wonderful gravy.