Savory Veal Stew
|2 lbs of veal roast cut into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|4 tbs butter|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 carrot, cut into discs|
|1 stalk of celery, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic minced|
|1/4 cup flour|
|1 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1 cup of coarsely chopped tomatoes|
|1 tbs chopped parsley, chopped|
|2 tsp thyme|
|1 tsp rosemary|
|10 whole shallots peeled|
|1 cup pitted ripe olives|
|Fresh parsley for garnish|
This is a savory comforting stew with deep flavor.
- Salt and pepper the meat and brown in a stock pot with a little oil and melted butter.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, celery and carrots.
- Cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and add the thyme, rosemary, parsley, tomatoes and whole shallots.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the olives and serve.