Orange Date Nut Bread
|1 large orange|
|1 cup chopped dates|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1 cup sugar|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 tsp vanilla|
|1 egg, beaten|
|2 cups flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1/2 cups chopped walnuts|
This is a sweet loaf that is perfect served with coffee or tea.
- Grate orange rind.
- Squeeze juice from orange and combine with enough boiling water to equal 1 cup.
- Pour into a bowl and add rind and dates.
- Stir in baking soda, sugar, butter, vanilla and egg.
- Sift together flour, baking power and salt.
- Add to mixture, beating thoroughly.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from pan.