Sausage Pot Pie
|1 lb of bulk pork sausage|
|1 cup cubed cooked smoked ham|
|1 green bell pepper, chopped, about 1 cup|
|1/2 cup of onion, chopped|
|1 stalk of celery, chopped|
|1 tsp ground sage|
|dash of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup|
|4 cups apples, thinly sliced|
|1/3 cup plus 1 tbs of shortening|
|1 cup flour|
|1/4 cup Parmesan cheese|
|dash of kosher salt|
|2 to 3 tbs of cold water|
This is an absolutely delicious version of the classic pot pie.
- Cook sausage in a saute pan until done. About 10 minutes, drain.
- Stir in ham, green pepper, onion, celery,sage, salt, pepper and condensed soup.
- Divide sausage mixture into 6 (10 oz) individual casserole or custard dishes.
- Place apples on sausage mixture in each casserole.
- Prepare pastry.
- Gather into ball and divide into 6 equal parts.
- Roll each part 1 inch larger than casserole.
- Fold in half and place on casserole and unfold.
- Seal pastry to the edge of casserole and cut several slits on the top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until the crust is brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cut shortening and cheese into flour and salt until particles are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tbs at a time, tossing with a fork until all four is moistened and pastry almost cleans the side of a bowl. Add more water if necessary.