Sausage Pot Pie
- 1 lb of bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup cubed cooked smoked ham
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup of onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 tsp ground sage
- dash of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups apples, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbs of shortening
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- dash of kosher salt
- 2 to 3 tbs of cold water
This is an absolutely delicious version of the classic pot pie.
- Cook sausage in a saute pan until done. About 10 minutes, drain.
- Stir in ham, green pepper, onion, celery,sage, salt, pepper and condensed soup.
- Divide sausage mixture into 6 (10 oz) individual casserole or custard dishes.
- Place apples on sausage mixture in each casserole.
- Prepare pastry.
- Gather into ball and divide into 6 equal parts.
- Roll each part 1 inch larger than casserole.
- Fold in half and place on casserole and unfold.
- Seal pastry to the edge of casserole and cut several slits on the top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until the crust is brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cut shortening and cheese into flour and salt until particles are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tbs at a time, tossing with a fork until all four is moistened and pastry almost cleans the side of a bowl. Add more water if necessary.