Baked Striped Bass (Rock Fish)
|1 (4 to 5 lb) whole striped bass, scaled and cleaned, head on.|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 cup thinly sliced onion|
|1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot|
|1/2 cup thinly sliced celery|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 cup dry white wine|
|1/4 cup butter|
|Parsley for garnish|
Striped bass is a staple in the north east Atlantic waters. It is a low fat white fleshed flavor explosion.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking pan.
- Season fish inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Slice lemon thinly, then cut in quarters.
- Make deep cuts about 2 inches apart on both sides of fish.
- Press a piece of lemon into each cut.
- Place fish in pan, atop of onion, celery and carrot, thyme and bay leaf.
- Pour in wine along with 1/2 cup of water.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, basting frequently with juices from pan.
- With several large spatulas lift fish onto a serving platter.
- Lift out vegetables and place around fish.
- Garnish platter with parsley and lemon.