|4 ripe bananas|
|2 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|whipped cream for topping|
|3/4 cup sugar|
|1/2 cup flour|
|2 cups milk|
|1 cup light cream|
|2 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature|
|Banana slices for garnish|
|mint sprigs for garnish|
|vanilla wafer cookies|
|3 egg yolks|
|dash of salt|
This is the classic southern style banana pudding.
- Combine the sugar salt and flour and blend well.
- Slowly add milk and cream and mix well until smooth.
- Pour into the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Whisk frequently, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and gradually whisk in about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture.
- Return egg mixture to the double boiler and stir in the vanilla and butter.
- Continue whisking and cooking until well thickened.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a 2 quart baking dish make a layer of vanilla wafers then sliced banana.
- Spoon some of the pudding over the bananas then layer more vanilla wafers and banana slices.
- Top with more pudding.
- Serve topped with whip cream.
- Garnish with a few slices of banana and a sprig of mint if desired.