Mexican Nopales Salad
- 1 and 1/2 lbs cactus paddles, cut into strips (available at Latin Markets)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch baking soda
- small bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbs dried Mexican oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 lb pepper jack cheese, shredded
Nopales are cactus paddles that are frequently used in Mexican cooking.
- Fill a large stock pot or sauce pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 tsp of salt, baking soda and the cactus strips and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- The paddles should be tender, but not limp.
- Remove from the heat and rinse the paddles several times in cold water to stop the cooking and remove any residue.
- In a large bowl combine the cactus with 1 tsp kosher salt, cilantro, tomatoes, oregano, onions and olive oil.
- Gently mix well, then garnish with the cheese.