Mexican Nopales Salad
|1 and 1/2 lbs cactus paddles, cut into strips (available at Latin Markets)|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|pinch baking soda|
|small bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped|
|2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|1 red onion, thinly sliced|
|4-5 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 tbs dried Mexican oregano|
|Black pepper to taste|
|1/4 lb pepper jack cheese, shredded|
Nopales are cactus paddles that are frequently used in Mexican cooking.
- Fill a large stock pot or sauce pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 tsp of salt, baking soda and the cactus strips and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- The paddles should be tender, but not limp.
- Remove from the heat and rinse the paddles several times in cold water to stop the cooking and remove any residue.
- In a large bowl combine the cactus with 1 tsp kosher salt, cilantro, tomatoes, oregano, onions and olive oil.
- Gently mix well, then garnish with the cheese.