Catalonian Cod Soup
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large pinch of saffron or 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 (28oz) can of tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14.5oz) of chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 lb of Alaska Cod fillets
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 slices of French or Italian bread, cut into bite sized pieces and toasted
- In a food processor or blender, grind nuts and garlic into a paste.
- In a large nonstick saute pan, cook onions in olive oil over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Add garlic paste, saffron, tomatoes, chicken broth and wine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add Cod fillets to pan and turn off heat. Let stand covered for 5 to 5 minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- Break cod into large chunks,stir in parsley and bread and cook on low heat for 3 minutes more.
- Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute