Moroccan Eggplant Dip
|1 large eggplant|
|3 tbs olive oil|
|1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 green pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1/2 medium onion, chopped|
|1 tsp cayenne|
|2 tsp sugar|
|1 tbs cumin|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1/4 cup cilantro, chopped|
- Peel and dice eggplant into 1/4 inch pieces
- Add oil to a saute pan and cook the eggplant over medium high heat for several minutes
- Add the garlic, green pepper and onion and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar and cook covered over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and boil mixture over high heat until is reduces by half. About 3 cups.
- Cool for several hours then add to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve with pita chips or crusty bread.