French Fried Salsify
|1 and 1/2 lb Salsify|
|1 tsp vinegar|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|3 peppercorns or 1 tsp black pepper|
|1 cup flour|
|2/3 cup milk|
|2 eggs beaten|
|canola oil for deep frying|
Salsify is a root vegetable that has two other names, oyster plant and oyster vegetable. As it’s names imply, the vegetable has a faint oyster taste. it looks something like a parsnip, but the skin in darker.
Select Plump, firm, well shaped medium-sized, fresh looking roots, free from blemishes. Allow 1 and 1/2 lbs for 6 servings. Store Salsify in a dry, cool place or in the refrigerator crisper. Use within a few days. When ready to cook, cut off tops, scrub, scrape or peel, slice or sliver. Plunge at once into cold water containing 1 tbs lemon juice or vinegar to prevent discoloring. Cook, covered in 1 inch of boiling salted water until tender. about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and season with salt, pepper and butter or reheat in cream or white sauce. Salsify is also delicious fried.
- Cut off tops and wash Salsify.
- Peel with a vegetable peeler and cut into 3 inch lengths.
- Drop into cold water with lemon juice.
- Add the salt and pepper and bring to a boil and cook, covered to almost tender. About 15 minutes.
- Remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- To prepare the batter, sift together flour and 1 tsp of kosher salt.
- Combine the milk and eggs and add to the flour.
- Add 4 inches of oil to a deep sauce pan or deep fryer and heat to 375 degrees.
- Place the Salsify pieces in the batter, a few at a time, let drain slightly then place in the oil.
- As the Salsify browns remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat until all pieces are fried.