Stuffed Fresh Sardines
|20 large fresh sardines ( you may substitute large canned sardines)|
|2/3 cup dried bread crumbs|
|2 cloves garlic crushed|
|2 tbs capers, drained and finely chopped|
|1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated|
|2 egg yolks, lightly beaten|
|Lemon wedges for serving|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking pan.
- Remove the heads from the sardines and make a slit in the belly and carefully remove the guts and carefully scrape the flesh away from the backbone.
- Trim at the tail end making sure to leave the tail intact.
- Lift out the back bone and discard.
- Wash and dry the sardines and set aside.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, garlic, capers, Parmesan, black pepper and enough egg yolk to bind the mixture.
- Spoon a little onto each open sardine and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm drizzled with lemon juice.