Indonesian Peanut Satay Sauce
|1 tbs of canola oil|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|2 red chilies, finely chopped|
|1 tsp shrimp paste (available at Asian markets)|
|8 (oz) peanut butter|
|1 cup coconut milk|
|1 cup water|
|2 tsp of thick soy sauce|
|1 tbs tomato sauce|
- Heat 1tbs of oil in a sauce pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir for 8 minutes over low heat.
- Add the red chilies and the shrimp paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the peanut butter, return to the heat and stir in coconut milk and water.
- Bring to a strong simmer using low heat, stirring so that it does not stick.
- Add the soy sauce and the tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 1 minute. Cool
- Serve with skewers of chicken meat or vegetables.