Charred Shrimp with Pepper Mayonnaise
|2 lbs large shrimp|
|4 cloves garlic, crushed|
|3 tbs lime juice|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|3 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|lime wedges for serving|
|1 small red pepper|
|6 cloves garlic, unpeeled|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|1/3 cup mayonnaise|
|1 tbs lime juice|
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails intact.
- Combine the garlic, lime juice, cumin and coriander in a bowl.
- Place the shrimp in the marinade and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- To make the pepper mayonnaise, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the red pepper into quarters and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Place on a baking sheet with the garlic and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the skin blisters on the pepper and the garlic is soft but not burnt.
- Place in a plastic bag to cool, the peel the red pepper and garlic.
- Combine the red pepper and garlic in a food processor with the mayonnaise and process until smooth.
- Transfer to to a bowl and stir in the lime juice. Add salt to taste.
- Pre heat a charcoal grill or an iron skillet until it begins to smoke.
- Drain the shrimp, discarding the marinade and cook in batches for 2 minutes on each side, or until charred and cooked through.
- Serve the shrimp with the pepper mayonnaise and lime wedges.