Home Style Rye Bread
|2 pkgs yeast|
|3 cups warm water|
|1/4 cup brown sugar|
|1/2 cup canola oil|
|1/4 cup molasses|
|2 tbs whole caraway seed|
|1 tbs minced orange peel|
|2 cups rye flour|
|2 tsp salt|
|2 tsp salt|
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water with brown sugar.
- Let stand a few minutes to be sure the yeast is active and the water frothy.
- Add the oil, molasses, caraway seed and orange peel. Mix well.
- Stir in the rye flour and salt.
- Gradually add 6 cups of bread flour.
- Once 6 cups of flour have been stirred in, turn the dough onto a table and knead adding in the final 1-2cups of flour as you go.
- The dough will be very stick at first.
- As you knead the flour in, about 1/3 cup at a time, it will get smoother and more elastic after about 10 minutes.
- Sometimes the final 1/2-1 cup of flour isn’t needed, depending on the humidity.
- Place in a large greased bowl and let rise in a warm place, covered with a towel until double in size. About 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, punch down and divide into two pieces, and knead briefly to form into two loaves.
- Place dough into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes then turn our on a wire rack to cool further.
- Slice and serve.