Southern Neck Bone Stew
|3 lbs neck bones, trimmed of excess fat|
|1 tbs white vinegar|
|water or chicken stock to cover|
|3 cloves garlic, chopped|
|3 bay leafs|
|2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried|
|2 ribs of celery, chopped|
|2 potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces|
|1 carrot, peeled and sliced|
|1 green pepper, chopped|
|1 small can of diced tomatoes with juice.|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
- Add the trimmed neck bones to a stock pot and cover completely with water.
- Add the bay leaf, garlic, vinegar and thyme.
- Bring to a boil the reduce to a simmer. Simmer for one and a half hours.
- Add celery, carrot, tomato, green pepper and potatoes
- Add more water or chicken stock to cover.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls along with some broth and vegetables.