Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
|Pre-baked 9 inch pie shell|
|1 and 1/2 cups water|
|3/4 cups sugar|
|2 tsp grated lemon zest|
|3 tbs corn starch|
|2 egg yolks, beaten|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|6 tbs lemon juice|
|3 large egg whites, at room temperature|
|1/2 tsp vanilla extract|
|1/4 tsp cream of tartar|
|6 tbs superfine sugar|
- Prepare the pre baked pie shell and cool completely. (350 degrees for 10 minutes)
- In the top of a double broiler set over simmering water, combine 1 cup of water, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- mix the cornstarch with the remaining water and add to the hot mixture.
- Cook stirring frequently for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir a small about of the lemon mixture into the egg yolks.
- Combine the egg yolk mixture with the mixture in the double boiler.
- Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Turn the filling into the pie shell.
- While the filling is still hot, prepare the meringue.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, beating until very stiff and glossy. All the sugar must be dissolved.
- Spread the meringue over the hot filling, sealing it to the edge of the crust.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool before serving.