Coconut Cream Pie
|1 pre-baked 9 inch pie shell, fresh or frozen|
|2 cups milk, scalded|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|2 tbs corn starch|
|1 tsp vanilla|
|1/4 tsp nutmeg|
|1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut|
- Pre-bake the pie shell according to package directions. Cool completely.
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, mix 1/2 cup of the hot milk with the corn starch.
- Add the remaining milk and cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar.
- Stir a small amount of the hot custard into the eggs.
- Combine the egg mixture with the mixture in the double boiler. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg, and coconut.
- Turn the filling into the pie shell. Chill until serving.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream and chocolate shavings.