New Orleans Off the Menu Po Boy
- 2 (12 inch) loaf of New Orleans French style bread
- 1 lb of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails off
- 2 (6 inch) long slices of Swiss Cheese
- 1/4 cup roast beef gravy
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 thinly sliced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup corn flour
- oil for frying
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
This is wonderful sandwich that is sometimes a secret in New Orleans. It is made with fried shrimp, swiss cheese, roast beef gravy, shreeded lettuce and thin tomato slices, atop New Orleans style French bread. We know it sounds like a strange combination but it absolutely delicious.
- Add the shrimp to the corn flour and dredge well. Shake off the excess.
- Fill a large sauce pan or deep fryer half way full with oil. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the shrimp in batches and fry until golden. About 3 minutes.
- Cut the roll in half lengthwise and place the Swiss cheese on top.
- Then spread the gravy over the cheese and add the tomatoes and lettuce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut in half and serve.
- Recipe may be doubled.