Spicy Mexican Tortilla Flutes
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|2 small onions, finely chopped|
|2 garlic cloves, crushed|
|1/2 tsp chili powder|
|1/2 tsp cayenne pepper|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|2 lbs cooked chicken, finely chopped|
|2 tbs cilantro, chopped|
|24 flour or corn tortillas|
|oil for shallow frying|
|red or green chili sauce for serving|
|1 avocado, sliced for serving|
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is just tender.
- Add the chili powder, cayenne and cumin and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and mix well. Cook over medium heat until just heated through.
- Stir in the cilantro and remove from the heat.
- Soften the tortillas, one at a time, by heating in a dry heavy based frying pan over high heat for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Lay the tortillas flat on a work surface and place a large spoonful of the chicken mixture along the center.
- Carefully roll up to form a flute.
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan to about 2 inches and heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Holding the flute together with tongs (or fasten with toothpicks). Cook one at a time until slightly crisp and golden. Turning frequently.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with chili sauce and avocado slices.