Corn and Potato Fritters
|2 tbs oil|
|1 small onion, thinly sliced|
|1 garlic clove, crushed|
|1 (7oz) can corn|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1 egg, beaten|
|1/2 cup Gouda cheese, grated|
|2-4 tomatoes, sliced|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|sprigs of fresh parsley for garnish|
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the onion and garlic and gently cook for several minutes until slightly soft. Do not burn. Remove from heat.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes into a bowl and mix in the corn, oregano, beaten egg, salt, pepper and the cook garlic and onion.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet.
- Divide the potato mixture in half and add to the pan to make 2 oval shaped cakes.
- Cook the fritters over low heat for about 10 minutes until golden brown, turning once.
- Sprinkle each fritter with the grated cheese and place under a broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile poach 1-2 eggs for each person.
- Transfer the fritters to warm plates and top with the eggs and sliced tomatoes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.