Vegetable Fritters with Sweet and Sour Sauce
|3/4 cup whole wheat flour|
|pinch cayenne pepper|
|4 tsp olive oil|
|3/4 cup cold water|
|3 and 1/2 oz broccoli florets|
|3 and 1/2 oz cauliflower florets|
|1 and 3/4 oz snow peas|
|1 large carrot, cut into batons|
|1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced|
|2 egg whites beaten|
|oil for deep frying|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|2/3 cup pineapple juice|
|2/3 cup vegetable stock|
|2 tbs white wine vinegar|
|2 tbs light brown sugar|
|2 tsp cornstarch|
|2 scallions, chopped|
- Sift the four and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl and add the cayenne pepper.
- Make a well in the center and gradually beat in the oil and cold water to make a smooth batter.
- Cook the vegetables in boiling water for 5 minutes, and drain well.
- Whisk the egg whites until the form stiff peaks and gently fold them into the flour batter.
- Dip the vegetables into the batter, turning to coat well. Drain off any excess batter.
- In a deep sauce pan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Cook the coated vegetables in batches for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened and clear. Serve with fritters.