Steamed Clams with Garlic and White Wine
- 24 little neck clams, washed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- corn meal
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 hot chili, minced
- Add the clams to a large bowl and cover them with water. Add the corn meal and allow to sit for several hours. This will purge any grit from the clams.
- In a large saute pan with a cover and the olive oil using medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot add the onions and the garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the chili and tomato paste and mix well with a wooden spoon
- Add the white wine clams and cilantro and cover. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- All clams should be open. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Add the clams to a large bowl and pour sauce over.
- Serve with crusty bread.