Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
|4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock|
|2 Thai chilies, seeded and thinly sliced|
|2 lemon grass stalks, white parts only, each cut into 3 pieces|
|4 Kaffir lime leaves (available at Asian markets)|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|4 scallions, thinly sliced|
|1 tsp sugar|
|juice of 1 lime|
|3 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|kosher salt to taste|
|1 cup firm tofu, sliced|
- To make carrot flowers, cut each carrot in half crosswise, then, using a sharp knife, cut four V shaped channels length wise. Slice the carrots into thin rounds and set aside.
- Pour the stock into a large pan.
- Reserve 1/2 tsp of the chilies and add the rest to the pan with the lemon grass, lime leaves, garlic and half of the scallions.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock and discard the flavorings.
- Return the stock to the pan, add the reserved chilies, scallions, sugar, lime juice and cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the carrot flowers and tofu slices. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Serve hot.