Fried Calamari with Tartar Sauce
|2 lbs cleaned calamari, cut into 1/4 inch rings|
|4 tbs corn starch|
|4 eggs lightly beaten|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 tbs grated lemon rind|
|2 cups dry bread crumbs|
|oil for deep frying|
|1 cup mayonnaise|
|2 tbs chopped chives|
|1 tbs sweet pickle relish|
|1/2 tsp mustard powder|
- Cut the calamari into 1/4 inch rings.
- Toss in cornstarch, shaking off excess.
- In a bowl beat the oil and add the garlic and lemon rind.
- Place the calamari in the egg mixture, letting mixture drip off, then add the calamari to the bread crumbs and coat evenly, removing excess.
- In a sauce pan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the calamari in small batches and cook for 1 minute until crispy and golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels
- To make the tartar sauce add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Serve with calamari.