Fried Calamari with Tartar Sauce
- 2 lbs cleaned calamari, cut into 1/4 inch rings
- 4 tbs corn starch
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs grated lemon rind
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- oil for deep frying
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs chopped chives
- 1 tbs sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Cut the calamari into 1/4 inch rings.
- Toss in cornstarch, shaking off excess.
- In a bowl beat the oil and add the garlic and lemon rind.
- Place the calamari in the egg mixture, letting mixture drip off, then add the calamari to the bread crumbs and coat evenly, removing excess.
- In a sauce pan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the calamari in small batches and cook for 1 minute until crispy and golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels
- To make the tartar sauce add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Serve with calamari.