Indian Curried Parsnip Soup
|2 tbs butter|
|1 clove garlic, crushed|
|1 onion, chopped|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|4 parsnips, peeled and sliced|
|2 tsp curry paste or 3 tsp curry powder|
|2 cups chicken stock|
|2 cups milk|
|4 tbs plain yogurt|
|squeeze of lemon juice|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|fresh chives for garnish|
|ready made naan bread for serving|
- Melt the butter n a large, sauce pan until foaming.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground cumin and coriander and cook, stirring frequently for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the parsnip slices and stir until coated with the butter, then stir in the curry paste or curry powder, followed by the stock.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the soup to cool slightly.
- Poor the soup into a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary.
- Return the soup to the pan and stir in the milk.
- Heat gently for about 2-3 minutes, then add half the yogurt and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls topped with swirls of the remaining yogurt and garnished with fresh chives.