Indian Lemon and Coconut Dahl Dip
|2 inch piece of fresh ginger|
|2 garlic cloves|
|2 red chilies|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|1 tsp cumin seeds|
|2/3 cup red lentils|
|1 cup water|
|1 tbs hot curry paste|
|1 cup coconut cream|
|juice of l lemon|
|handful of fresh cilantro|
|1/4 cup sliced almonds|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- Peel the ginger and chop along with the garlic, onion and chilies.
- Heat the canola oil in a large shallow pan. Add the ginger, onions, garlic and chilies and cumin seeds.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the lentils, water, and curry paste in a pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but have not broken up.
- Stir in 2 tbs of the coconut cream. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture is thick and pulpy.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan and dry fry the almonds for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Stir about three quarters of the toasted almonds into the dhal and reserve the rest for garnish.
- Transfer the dahl to a serving bowl and swirl in the remaining coconut cream.
- Sprinkle the reserved almonds on top.
- Serve with naan bread for dipping.