|2 lbs mussels|
|3/4 cup dry white wine|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
|1 tsp chili flakes|
|1 tbs Dijon mustard|
|2 tsp sugar|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
|1 tbs capers, drained and chopped|
|fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|butter lettuce leaves for garnish|
- Wash mussels and remove any beards, if any. Discard any that are open and do not close when tapped.
- In a large pan set over high heat, bring the white wine to the boil with the garlic and ground black pepper.
- Add the mussels and cover tightly. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2-4 minutes or until the shells open.
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, chili flakes, Dijon mustard, sugar, salt, cilantro and capers. Mix well and set aside.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Remove the mussels from their shells and reserve the half shells for serving.
- Add the mussels to the marinade and toss to coat thoroughly, then cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, stirring gently from time to time.
- To serve place one mussel with a little marinade in each shell.
- Serve on an attractive lettuce lined platter.