Thai Fried Crab Claws with Chili Vinegar Dip
|20 half shelled crab claws|
|1/2 cup rice flour|
|1 tbs corn starch|
|1/2 tsp sugar|
|4 tbs cold water|
|1 lemon grass stalk, white part only|
|3 garlic clove, minced|
|1 tbs cilantro, chopped|
|2 red chilies, seeds removed and finely chopped|
|2 tsp Thai fish sauce|
|canola oil for frying|
|3 tbs sugar|
|1/2 cup water|
|1/2 cup red wine vinegar|
|1 tbs Thai fish sauce|
|4 red chilies, seeded and chopped|
- Combine the rice flour, corn starch and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat in the egg with the cold water and mix until it forms a light batter
- Cut off the lower 2 inches of the lemon grass and chop it finely.
- Add the lemon grass to the batter along with the garlic, cilantro, red chilies and fish.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- To make the chili dip, mix the sugar and water in a pan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Stir in the rest of the dip ingredients and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, deep fryer or a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Heat the oil to 360 degrees.
- Pat the crab claws dry and dip into the batter. Let the excess batter drip off.
- Drop the battered claws into the hot oil a few at a time.
- Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the chili vinegar dip into a serving bowl and serve with the crab claws