Charcoal Grilled Bison
|4 (5oz) Bison tenderloins|
|1 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1/4 tbs garlic, minced|
|1 tbs fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper|
|Wood chips and charcoal for grilling|
This dish was served at the 2013 Presidential Inauguration:
- Marinate bison steaks overnight with oil, garlic, rosemary and black pepper.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and remove the large pieces of rosemary, then season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Allow meat to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to allow the salt to penetrate the meat.
- Soak the wood chips in water for 30 minutes, meanwhile start a charcoal fire.
- Once the coals are ready, add the wood chips and let them start smoking before adding the meat.
- Grill steaks on each side for 5-8 minutes for a medium rare steak, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.