Chicken a’ la king
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 oz each) cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 2/3 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onions and celery and cook until the chicken is browned and the vegetables are softened. About 10 minutes.
- Add the peas.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and stir in the flour and pepper.
- Add the milk, drizzling slowly and stirring to combine with the flour.
- As the sauce thickens start drizzling in the chicken stock and continue to stir.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes and continue to stir until the sauce is thick. Add more milk and or stock if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Serve over rice or noodles.