Italian Sunday Gravy
|6 garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|4 tbs olive oil|
|10 Italian sweet sausages|
|20 homemade meatballs (use our search engine for recipe)|
|6 pork spare ribs|
|1 Braciole (Use our search engine for recipe)|
|1 lb boneless pork tenderloin in 1 piece|
|4 (28oz) cans of crushed tomatoes (we like the Cento brand)|
|3 (28oz) cans of peeled plum tomatoes|
|1 (12oz) can of tomato paste|
|2 tbs sugar|
|1 cup dry red wine.|
|Small bunch of basil, coarsely chopped or torn into small pieces|
|2 tbs Italian parsley, chopped|
|1 tbs oregano|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a recipe that is much loved in Italian homes. It is a rich tomato sauce filled with succulent meats and seasonings.
- In a large stock pot, gently fry the garlic and onion until soft.
- Add the sausages and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown the meat balls and set aside.
- Brown the Braciole and set aside. Brown the ribs and pork tenderloin and set aside.
- Pour off the fat from the pan and add the tomatoes, tomato puree and tomato paste.
- Gently heat to boiling, stirring often, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add the browned meats to the sauce along with the sugar, red wine, basil, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stir gently and let simmer for 2 hours. Skim off as much fat as possible.
- When serving place the meats on a platter and cut into portions.
- Use the sauce over pasta to serve along with the meats.