Trinidadian Pumpkin Soup
|1 lb West Indian pumpkin (Calabaza)|
|1/2 green pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|1 onion, minced|
|1 clove garlic, Chopped|
|Boquet garni (sprig of thyme, marjoram, sprig of celery with leaves, 2 sprigs parsley, 1 bay leaf. Tied in cheese cloth)|
|1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped|
|5 cups of chicken stock|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1 cup heavy cream|
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Place the pumpkin in a large sauce pan along with the bell pepper, onion, garlic, bouquet garni, tomato and chicken stock.
- Cover and simmer gently until the pumpkin begins to break down. About 1 hour.
- Remove the bouquet garni and discard.
- Rub the soup through a wire mesh strainer, or puree in a blender or food processor.
- Return the the saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cream and heat through, without letting the soup come to a boil.