Puerto Rican Asopao de Langosta y Camarones (Shrimp and Lobster)
|2 cups long grain rice|
|2 cups sofrito (use search engine)|
|1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|1 lb rock lobster tails or lobster meat cut into 1/2 inch chunks|
|3/4 lb green peas|
|6 cups chicken stock|
|1 tbs capers|
|1/2 cup pitted green olives|
|2 roasted red peppers cut into strips|
Asopao is Puerto Rico’s special contribution the the Caribbean kitchen. It is basically a stew. It can be made with various shellfish or chicken. Asopao means soup. This version contains lobster and shrimp.
- Put the rice in a large bowl along with 2 cups of cold water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Add a little oil to a large sauce pan and add the sofrito.
- Stir in the shrimp and lobster and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add to the casserole with the peas and chicken stock.
- Gently mix well cover and simmer until the rice is tender. About 20 minutes.
- Stir in the capers, olives and roasted red peppers and cook just long enough to heat through.
- Note: this dish can be prepared with shell fish, oysters, clams etc. squid or land crabs.