Trinidad Coconut Bread
|3 cups flour|
|1 tbs baking powder|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 cup sugar|
|2 cups fresh coconut, finely grated|
|1 egg, well beaten|
|1 cup evaporated milk|
|1 tsp vanilla|
|4 oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled|
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Mix in the sugar and coconut.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla and butter. Mix lightly but completely.
- Divide the mixture between to greased loaf pans, and fill each about 2/3’s full.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about hour or until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let the loaves cool partially in the pans, then turn the cakes out on a rack.