Trinidad Coconut Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh coconut, finely grated
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Mix in the sugar and coconut.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla and butter. Mix lightly but completely.
- Divide the mixture between to greased loaf pans, and fill each about 2/3’s full.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about hour or until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let the loaves cool partially in the pans, then turn the cakes out on a rack.