Caribbean Heart of Palm Fritters
- 1 (14oz) can of palm hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ap flour
- 1 tsp double acting baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 fresh hot red or green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup milk, if necessary
- oil for deep frying
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the eggs, onion, garlic, peppers, and palm hearts, folding the ingredients lightly together to form a stiff dough.
- Add the milk if the dough is too stiff.
- Allow the batter to sit covered for about 1 hour.
- In a large sauce pan or deep fryer, fill 1/3 full with oil then heat to 350 degrees.
- Once the oil is hot add the dough by the tablespoon full and fry in batches until the fritters are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.