Chinese Shumai Shrimp Dumplings
- 20-30 round wonton wrappers (available at Asian groceries)
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked, trimmed and chopped fine
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine, vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbs corn starch
- kosher salt and white pepper to taste
These are flavorful shrimp dumplings that are very popular in Chinese Dim Sum houses.
- Add the shrimp to food processor and process into a smooth paste.
- Add the shrimp to a bowl along with the other ingredients and mix well.
- Place about a tbs of the filling on each wrapper, and gather up the sides for form ripples, leaving the center open.
- Press the dumplings down on a cutting board to create a flat bottom in order for dumplings to stand up.
- When the dumplings are filled, add to a bamboo or stainless steel steamer and steam for about 5-6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with a variety of dipping sauces, ie, Soy and or chili sauce.