Crackling Pork Shank
|2 and 1/2 lb pork shank|
|1/2 cup kosher salt|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|oil for deep frying|
This is a sugar and salt cured pork shank that is braised, then fried until the exterior is crispy and delicious.
- Add the salt and sugar to a large container and fill with water, mix well.
- Add the pork shank cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove the pork shank from the brine and dry completely.
- In a large saucepan add the pork shank and almost cover with water or stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and braise for 1 and 1/2 hours or until almost cooked through.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the pork shank and fry until skin is golden and crispy. 20-30 minutes.