Creole Fried Chicken
|3 to 4 lb chicken cut into serving pieces|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|2 tsp black pepper|
|2 large cloves garlic, crushed|
|1/4 cup seville (bitter orange) or mix 3 parts regular orange juice with 1 part lime juice.|
|1/2 to 1 cup vegetable oil|
- Mix the salt, pepper and garlic together and rub well into the chicken pieces.
- Place them in a large glass bowl, and pour the bitter orange juice all over them.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours, turning 2 to 3 times.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve the marinade.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking to remove any excess.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the chicken on both sides until golden brown. Cook in batches if necessary. However it is best to cook all at once in a large frying pan.
- Reduce and sprinkle the chicken with the marinade, cover and continue cooking until the chicken is tender. About 30 minutes.
- Uncover increase the heat to crisp and brown the chicken, turning the pieces once.
- There should be no liquid left in the pan. Take care not to burn.