Curried Tofu Burgers
|1 carrot, peeled|
|1 large onion, peeled|
|1 tsp canola oil|
|2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|1 tsp curry paste|
|1 tsp tomato paste|
|8 oz silken tofu|
|2/3 cups fresh bread crumbs|
|1/4 cup minced mixed nuts|
|kosher salt and black pepper|
|flour for coating|
|canola oil for frying|
- Grate the carrot and onion.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large frying pan and add the carrot and onion and fry until the vegetables are softened, stirring constantly for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coriander seeds, curry paste and tomato paste.
- Increase the heat and cook for 2 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Mash the tofu with a potato masher, then stir into the vegetables, bread crumbs and nuts.
- Season with salt and pepper and beat thoroughly until the mixture starts to stick together.
- With floured hands, shape the mixture into 8 patties. Refrigerate for about 1 hour before frying.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers until golden brown on both sides. About 3-4 minutes.
- Alternatively, brush lightly with oil and cook under a hot broiler for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels then serve on a bun with lettuce and tomato or just as is.