Indian Vegetable Korma
|1 large onion|
|1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tbs coriander seeds|
|1 tsp cloves|
|6 green cardamom pods, seeds only crushed|
|2 tsp black peppercorns|
|2 lbs mixed vegetables, including some root vegetables cut into chunks|
|3 tsp turmeric|
|zest and juice of 1 large lemon|
|2/3 cup ground almonds|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|3 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
- Chop the onion and mince the ginger.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry very gently, stirring frequently until softened. About 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile finely grind the whole spices and peppercorns in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Add to the pan and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Increase the heat, add the vegetables and turmeric, and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and rind, the ground almonds and 1 and 1/4 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender. 30-40 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the cream and a little water if the korma is too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper and heat through gently.
- Place in a serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with basmati rice.