Indian Vegetable Korma
- 1 large onion
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cloves
- 6 green cardamom pods, seeds only crushed
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 lbs mixed vegetables, including some root vegetables cut into chunks
- 3 tsp turmeric
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- Chop the onion and mince the ginger.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry very gently, stirring frequently until softened. About 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile finely grind the whole spices and peppercorns in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Add to the pan and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Increase the heat, add the vegetables and turmeric, and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and rind, the ground almonds and 1 and 1/4 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender. 30-40 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the cream and a little water if the korma is too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper and heat through gently.
- Place in a serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with basmati rice.