Indian Spinach Dhal
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed
- 6 tbs ghee or butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
This an authentic Indian vegetarian recipe that contains lentils, spinach, onions, garlic, coriander and chili powder.
- Soak the lentils in cold water for about 1 hour.
- Drain the spinach and squeeze out as much water as possible, then chop.
- Heat the ghee in a large saute pan, add the onion and garlic and cook, constantly stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and lentils, continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 and 1/4 cups of water and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the lentils are almost tender, about 15-20 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Stir in the spinach and cook over high heat, stirring, until thoroughly heat through and all excess moisture has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with basmati rice.