Indian Curry Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart green apple, cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seed
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups boiling beef stock
- 1/2 tsp kitchen bouquet
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
This is a multi purpose curry sauce that can be used to cook stews and curry dishes with a variety of meats and vegetables. It freezes well so you can make it well in advance of cooking.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over moderate heat.
- Add the onion apple, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric, cardamom and curry powder.
- Saute 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the flour and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add boiling beef stock, whisking quickly, then bring to a simmer.
- Add the kitchen bouquet and the raisins.
- Mix and simmer for another 5 minutes.