Indian Curry Sauce
|1/4 cup butter|
|1 large yellow onion, chopped|
|1 medium tart green apple, cored and chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1 tsp crushed pepper flakes|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|1 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seed|
|1 tsp curry powder|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 cups boiling beef stock|
|1/2 tsp kitchen bouquet|
|1/4 cup dark raisins|
|1/4 cup golden raisins|
This is a multi purpose curry sauce that can be used to cook stews and curry dishes with a variety of meats and vegetables. It freezes well so you can make it well in advance of cooking.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over moderate heat.
- Add the onion apple, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric, cardamom and curry powder.
- Saute 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the flour and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add boiling beef stock, whisking quickly, then bring to a simmer.
- Add the kitchen bouquet and the raisins.
- Mix and simmer for another 5 minutes.