The Heartland Grilled Cheese
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbs butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1 sweet onion onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs water
- 2 large ripe tomatoes or 16 ripe cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 4 slices Wisconsin aged Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices baby Wisconsin aged Swiss cheese
This recipe is the courtesy of the Wisconsin grilled cheese academy. It is made with cheddar, baby Swiss and caramelized onions.
- For the caramelized onions heat a large saute pan over high heat, add olive oil and 1 tbs of butter and then sliced onions.
- Stir to coat without stirring for 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes. Add water and stir to remove any brown bits from the bottom of pan.
- Transfer onions to a bowl.
- Slice tomatoes 1/4 inch thick or halve cherry tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat skillet or large saute pan over medium heat.
- Nutter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice butter side down in pan and top with a slice of cheddar, then a slice of tomato and some of the reserved caramelized onions, then a slice of baby of Swiss.
- Top with another slice of bread, butter side up, and grill in skillet until bottom bread is lightly browned and cheese begins to melt.
- Carefully flip the sandwich over and brown.
- Grill the remaining 3 sandwiches.