Braised Beef Tongue
|4 lb beef tongue|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|1 large yellow onion cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|2 carrots cut into coins|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|2 bay leaves|
|6 sprigs fresh parsley|
|6 sprigs fresh thyme|
|4 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|4 and 1/4 cups beef stock|
|1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 1 and 1/2 tbs water|
- Rinse the tongue and put it into a large, deep pot.
- Add enough water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat and reduce the heat to simmer vigorously,
- Cook for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and put the tongue in a bowl of cold water and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, drain and discard the liquid.
- Remove the tough outer white skin and any black parts from the tongue Start with the top layer from the tip, and cut away the skin, then attack the underside. You may have to scrape away any remaining skin, then rinse.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a oven safe pan heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and then place the tongue between the onions.
- Reduce the heat and brown the tongue lightly all over. About 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and and continue to saute for several minutes.
- Add half of the white wine and put the lid on the pot. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining white wine, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, tomato and salt.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomato has softened and collapsed.
- Add the beef stock and bring to a boil. Recover pot and then place it in the oven.
- Braise for about 45 minutes per pound, or until a toothpick easily pierces the tongue.
- Turn the tongue every minutes.
- Remove the tongue from the oven and transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Strain the cooking liquid and remove as much grease as possible.
- Reheat the tongue in the cooking liquid to a boil and let reduce to about 2 cups of liquid.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.. Add the cornstarch and water mixture
- Cook for an additional 30 seconds longer, or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- To serve, halve the tongue lengthwise and then cut into slices or cut the whole tongue into slices.
- You may serve on plates with some of the sauce or serve as sandwiches.