Curried Indian Cauliflower Soup
|2 tsp vegetable oil|
|1 onion, minced|
|2 garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 tbs fresh ginger, grated|
|1 jalapeno or hot green pepper, seeded and minced|
|2 tbs curry powder|
|1 head cauliflower, cut into florets|
|1 large potato, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock|
|8 (oz) cream cheese softened|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|curry or bay leaves|
|3-4 tbs vegetable oil, for frying|
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and peppers and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until onion softenes.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic
- Add the cauliflower, potato and chicken or vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer for about 20 minutes and stir occasionally or until the potato and cauliflower are tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 5-10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Transfer the cauliflower mixture to a food processor or blender and process until very smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and place over low heat.
- Add the cream cheese and stir to combine.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese completely melts and is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If using curry leaves, add oil to a skillet and the oil and using medium high heat fry the curry leaves for about 1 minute.
- If you are using bay leaves skip the last step.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with the curry or bay leaves.